Tuesday, September 02, 2008

First Day of School, Loose Teeth, and Maybe I'll go back Thursday

Well,
we survived. The first day of school. Both boys actually went right into their classrooms, followed the routine, and didn't even kiss their mom goodbye. Cole wanted me to get him settled first but I quickly told him that I would take Spencer to class first and then come across the hall to help him. Well Spence hung up his backpack and sweatshirt and was headed toward the trucks to play without even looking back. So on my way across the hall only to see Cole, closing his locker and heading through the classroom door without even knowing I was behind him. He was greeted with enthusiasm by his teacher, flipped his card to show he was there and proceeded to sit at his table spot. I tried waving to let him know I saw him and he was too absorbed to even notice. So back to the preschool class. I couldn't even spot my little own amongst the sea of three footers. His teacher pointed out that he was visiting "Speedy" the classroom turtle. I walked over, said hello, tried to take a picture or too, but Speedy was about to get breakfast so that was too exciting to miss let alone take the time to say goodbye to mom. So I walked out the door. I wasn't quite sure what to feel, a little indifferent I guess....Three whole hours to myself!!!!
Freedom sure does fly by when you're all alone. Off to pick up where the boys were placed back into the car. Spencer was told, "See you Thursday, you're coming back right?" Spencer just shrugged his shoulders, gave his little grin, and said, "Maybe" which was then followed by giggling and a tummy tickle by his teacher.
Now it is the afternoon, Cole comes running into the room. "LOOSE TOOTH" he cries with excitement. "Which one, let me feel." The middle one on the bottom, which one, oh, you have two loose teeth on the bottom. Maybe by Halloween, we'll have a real Jack O' Lantern smile.

No comments: