Monday, August 25, 2008

Summer Time Closure

So as life goes, another season is coming to an end and another beginning is then just around the corner.
With the end of August comes my friend Tracy's birthday on the 30th. She used to brag for 30 days that she was 2 years older than myself when we were younger. Since we met when I was 19 and she was 20, two years older seemed like it should mean something important. Now however, I don't hear those tauntings for an entire month. So now I guess I can begin with the phrases about being almost 2 years younger than she is. She will reach 40 before I will. I will stay 35 for one more month. Why do we keep so close track of time and timing of things?
Cole on the other hand was asking if Spencer was 3 1/2 yet. No, Spencer just turned on July 30th. Cole on the other hand is almost 5 1/2, which in little people timing is very important.
So Cole is off to kindergarten and Spencer to preschool. School clothes are bought. Backpacks are ready.
Time. Time is defined in a lot of different ways but usually with I'm out of time, There is no time.
So I am trying to create time spaces to hold onto some of those precious moments with my husband, my boys, my family, my friends.
The weather is changing, the days and evenings are cooler. We are anticipating the changing of the colors of the leaves of the trees and the Saturday football games that we will gather around the tv to watch or trek over the mountain to watch at Autzen.
Fall is my favorite month. It is Cole's too. For different reasons. Mine is for memories from childhood of jumping in piles of huge oak leaves when I was 3. Waiting for the bus on cool crisp mornings. Spending time with my family on Sunday afternoons.
Cole is building his own favorite memories. Right now the Oregon Ducks and Autzen Stadium are favorite and important fall things.
So onward we go. And as Cole would say, "Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall." That's what he thinks God says to the seasons when it's the next seasons turn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord that I'm the only one that reads this blog....I'd hate for people to know it is my birthday and send me gift cards to Ann Taylor. I really don't want to bring attention to that!
I'm actually still glad that I'll be 2 years older than you this weekend...you see with age comes wisdom and although that is not a guarantee it is true here...the wisdom I will receive on Saturday, with the turning of my age, will be earth shattering. Just wait!