Thursday, April 10, 2008

Superman Capes, My Horse, and Cops

I must put in an update on the boys. We are in the full swing of life with two lively little rugrats, continually charming their ways into our hearts and out of trouble, and bringing a new meaning to "experiencing life to the fullest".
So as some of you many know we are very much into "Public Safety" in our home. We love fireman, policeman, state patrol, Army soldiers, and of course our Protector Angels.
We have police uniforms, fireman outfits, handcuffs, whistles, night sticks, flashlights, foam swords, superman capes, and guns made out of everything from fingers to toothbrushes. Little boys amaze me with the innate nature of the adventure they play out everyday. Spencer is our riskier, test the limits kind of kid. Cole is more of the cautious risk taker.
We have been playing cops in our home for months. Recently Cole showed me the new type of "cops" they were playing. Cole says, "Mom watch this." and proceeds to yell at the top of his lungs, "Spencer Run!!" Which Spencer, barefeet, pullup clad with socks and crocs, a "Go Ducks" shirt and hair sticking up on one side from nap, takes off like there's no tomorrow. All of a sudden, Cole yells, "GET DOWN ON THE GROUND, PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK!!" I watched, kind of perplexed and stunned at the same time, as Cole crashed into the side of Spencer, Spencer immediately dropped to the ground, put his hands behind his back and then Cole proceeded to put his knee in his back and handcuff him". Off to Jail they went, which was under the kitchen table, and then Spencer proceeded to escape. Then it was round 2 and 3 and 4 and 5. I was wondering, where did they get this from. I felt compelled to do my good mom job and inform Cole that cops did not chase the "bad guys", knock them down so roughly. He quickly turned to me and said, "They do on Cops mom." You know "Bad Boys Bad Boys whatcha Gonna Do, Whatcha Gonna Do When they Come for You."
Unbeknownst to me, on Tuesday nights when I have Bible Study, the boys are watching cops with daddy. I just shook my head and thought, of course, all of the people are fleeing from the police on cops, that's why it's on TV. So the song has continued, in some interesting settings, and I keep thinking "Whatcha Gonna Do?" So when Spencer started singing the theme song during church prayer time, I guess he was praying for the "Bad Boys". Kinda humorous, but a good lesson in what might not be appropriate for a 2 1/2 and 5 year old.
Spencer calls Chillie, our Golden Retriever, His Horse. He grabs poor Chillie under the collar and hauls him around the house, saying "My horse, My horse, Ride my horse." I think Chillie knows to avoid any of the furniture that Spencer could use to help him actually get on him to ride him. Oh well, the joys of childhood make believe and the things our pets endure. Although, I do think Chillie and Spencer have an agreement. It's the "I'll let you think I'm your horse as long as you continue to feed me when mom and dad aren't looking."
So off off and away, the capes are flying around our home as well. Cole looked out the window the other day and make the remark, "I need to get my cape mom, it's windy outside and I can't wait to feel like I'm really flying."
What would it be like if I showed up to work with the supermom cape on, it's kind of windy outside right now, it might be fun to fun and feel like I'm flying. When is it that we lose our ability to do things like that, without the fear of what others think about us. Hmmm, somedays, I would like to be that free again.
So I'm off off and away, to be Supermom for another day.

1 comment:

Thamaker said...

You can be super mom and I'll be Warrior Chick. I'm liking the idea of calling myself a warrior. Would you like to play big girl christian cops? You could run, I could takle you and quote scripture until we saw the enemy's walls fall down!!!
See you tomorrow!
Tracy