Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Update on some details

Just wanting to give everyone a bit of a timeline and schedule for the events tomorrow. We spent about 5 hours doing pre-op stuff today. Needless to say, Jason felt a bit like a test specimen being poked, prodded, and told what to do. All of our nerves were on over drive by the time we were finished today.
I was glad that I had told Diane and Jason prior to today that I get faint sometimes and pass out in hospitals. And sure enough, I almost went down, needed a cool towel, and came around about twenty minutes later while we were meeting with the surgical coordinator nurse. I think my blood pressure is just generally too low and hearing about medical procedures makes me a bit woozy. Anyway, hopefully I will be done with that and be able to deal with all of the tubes, noises and hospital smells tomorrow.
So the low down is this...
Arrive 5:30 am
2 hours prep with the anesthesiologist and sanitizing of everything. He will go into the beginning stages of surgery around 7:30-8:00. The first two hours will be cutting open and prepping to go on the bypass machine. He could be on the bypass for 3-5 hours, then checking how everything works once off bypass. Then the closing up of everything. They will then take him to ICU sedated and intubated. When he wakes up once he is breathing on his own well they will take the breathing tube out. He should be in ICU for 2 days including tomorrow (the surgery day) and then transferred to a different room.
All in all the surgery should go from 7:30 until at the latest 5:00 pm. I will try to send out updates throughout the day if I can and then after he is stable and the surgery is over.
We are all holding up pretty well. We just need some good sleep tonight and a lot of prayers throughout the day tomorrow.
Thanks for everyone's support.

No comments: